Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I'm a Bad Ass Biker

I was given the opportunity to go on a motorcycle trip with my father-in-law and his brothers. Having not been on any sort of bike or ATV in the last 15 years, I was a little apprehensive.

I borrowed a friends bike and gear. He owns a VTX 1800 and he had no issues with me taking it for spin, although a part of me was kind of hoping he would say 'no'. I'll have to say though. Once I got a feel for the bike on the open road, I was hooked. It's such an amazing experience cruising down the open road with a pack of other enthusiasts. The wind on your face, the subtle salute to other bikers that you meet along he way. All very cool.

A few weeks later I went on a trip with some friends to Jasper but I took a smaller bike this time. A Shadow 750. Although it was lighter and more maneuverable, it was slightly smaller and didn't quite have the same amount of jam. It was a blast and the weather was awesome, but my body hated me for making it sit on that bike for about 700 kilometers .

I'm definitely hooked now. My only regret is that it is so late in the season, so I have to try and squeeze in as much time as I can devote to it with the small amount of nice weekends that we have left. I bought myself a nice full-face helmet so while I don't consider myself to be at full biker status, I figure I'm at least 7/10 of the way. All I need is my own bike, some leathers and more skill to fill the remainder.

No comments:

Post a Comment